Welcome to the Rim to Rim Club®

This website is dedicated to those that have hiked Rim to Rim of the Grand Canyon that would like to share their story and officially join the Rim to Rim Club as well as inspire, motivate and provide logistical information for others looking to embark on the journey.

If you have completed the Rim to Rim hike of the Grand Canyon please fill out the form to the right to officially join the club. Congratulations on your accomplishment and welcome to the club!

Click HD Quality on your You Tube gear setting to watch in HD

Tell Your Story

1. Tim & Tammy Straub says:

I have always had an attraction to Grand Canyon. Our family moved to Arizona in 1973, and one of our stops across our cross country migration was Grand Canyon. Through the years, I hiked the trails, but never completed a Rim to Rim. I moved to Washington State with my wife in 1994. From that time until 2007, we never visited GC. In 2007, we started to volunteer for the GC Astronomy Party on the South Rim. We did our first day hike to Cedar Ridge. My wife’s asthma kept her somewhat above Cedar. The next year, we did the ranger hike to Cedar. In 2009, we decided to volunteer for the North Rim Astronomy Party. That year we hiked North Kaibab to Redwall Bridge and pledged our training and efforts to do R2R in 2010. Like the Founders, we were able to score dorms at Phantom over the Labor Day weekend of 2010. During the Star Party of June 2010, we did all sorts of hikes on the North Rim to prepare. Widforss, Uncle Jim, Cape Final, Point Imperial to Nankoweep trail head, and yes, Roaring Springs and back in one day. When we did our hike at the end of August, I knew we had 14+ miles to Phantom. We started early and stopped at Ribbon for a long rest. I am glad we did that because the Box was in shade all the way to Phantom. We arrived in time to check into our dorms and “hikers stew dinner” the first night. If you hike N to S, and reach Phantom in one day, we recommend this, The next day WE WERE SO STIFF!!!!!! To loosen us up, we did the loop from the Silver Bridge to the Black Bridge and soaked for a LONG Time in BA creek. With Steak Dinner at night and Pancakes in the AM, we successfully ascended the BA and stayed at El Tovar as a reward. Canyon Shuttle got us back to the N Rim the next day and we stayed in Kanab, UT that night.

We repeated in June 2012. This time we went South to North, but taking a few more days. Canyon Shuttle dropped us in the afternoon, and we hung out on the S Rim until 3 PM. Our first night was Indian Gardens. We hiked early AM and got to BA Campground before 8 AM where we enjoyed BA creek, lemonade at Phantom, and both ranger programs. The next day we started early to get through the Box. Along the way we spotted beavers in the Riparian areas. We played at Ribbon Falls all day. With our water filter, we gave many hikers the fill up they needed to get to where they were going. Around 5 PM we did the short hike to Cottonwood. The next morning we started at dawn and chased the heat up to the North Rim where we had a reservation for a cabin.

I encourage folks to look at R2R treks by the Grand Canyon Field Institute. In 2015, I did the Tanner to Grandview course. However, they have many R2R hikes. GCFI courses offer a wealth of information.

In 2017 we are going to make another R2R attempt

• Great story and thank you for being trail angels for some of the hikers with your water filter! Welcome to the club Tim and Tammy!

• Doug Hohenberger says:

Great trip Tim & Tammy

Like yourselves I am looking forward to hiking to Phantom Ranch in August 2017. Not the best time of the year to hike but considered lucky to get reservations at all. You take what’s given to you. It has been 16 years since I last visited Phantom Ranch. There is probably a McDonalds nearby by now.

Not really sure which trail to take. I have been on all three. So now is the time to dig deep for motivation to train. Training and weight management is critical right now during the winter. Who wants to train in snow, ice and 20 degrees. Wonder if anyone else feels this way.

doughohenberger@yahoo.com

• Totally understand Doug and congrats on the Phantom Ranch Reservation. We think key for winter foundation training for all is getting those joints ready and cardio in check to take on 12 hours plus of hiking and prepare for descents (pounding) and ascents (climbing with weight on your back). Tough in winter to train, but as you know key is to get some indoor strength training and consistent cardio in and begin gearing up for the hike. Let us know how your hike goes next August and which route you take and good luck with your training! BTW – we put a picture of part of the South Kaibab trail up near the stairmaster for motivation!

2. After my family and I saw the grand canyon at the south rim on our way to California for summer vacation five years ago, my son was so impressed that we both agreed that when he graduated high school he and I would do a rim to rim. (I backpacked the Canyon back in 1982 in college).
    We were very fortunate to get our back country permit on our first attempt. June 8 we stayed at Cottonwood, June 9 at phantom ranch (delicious stew dinner and breakfast), and June 10 at Indian Gardens. We then took the shuttle from the south rim back to the north rim and to our jeep.
    It was such a terrific hike that allowed my son and I to bond and ponder the amazing canyon. We took four days and would highly recommend if you have the time and are fortunate enough to get drawn for one of the few spots at cottonwood campground.
    I cannot wait to return.

• So happy you were able to have this experience with your son as it sounds like you had a great hike in the canyon! Welcome to the Club Steven!

• Phillip Strahin "Phil" says:

Hello, Steven and Family! I just joined the Rim to Rim club, having just just learned of its existence. I made my backpack Rim to Rim along with my Cousin Jay Elias. We started on July 10. 2002 when I was 67 years old, and took 4 days just like you to complete the journey. And what a marvelous journey it was, as you know! The only difference between our trips was that we backpacked from the North rim to the the South rim. 2002 was the year that nearly ever one of the western states was on fire somewhere, and as a result of this condition the back country of Arizona as well as most other states were closed to backpackers and most of the public. My Cousin Jay was an experienced backpacker, and I had long wanted to do this, as I love being outdoors and have camped in many different states, including Arizona. This backpacking trip would be my first one! Jay and I had discovered that we would both be in Arizona at the time of our trip, and had agreed that we would go on a backpacking trip together sometime. We decided to meet there and fulfill this long standing wish. When I got there I called Jay, and he was to get any required permits. Imagine my surprise when we met up and he said ” Because of the fire danger, the only permit I could get was to backpack thru the Grand Canyon . Do you still want to go?” Although I am an old soul I am still adventurous so I immediately said yes! I was working as a industrial electrician at that time and had just completed a big three phase wire pull at an electrical generating station. This wire was huge, about 3 inches in diameter, and weighing over 30 pounds a foot. My job there included turning the wire spool by hand some 20 feet in diameter and weighing some 20,000 pounds, in order to keep slack in the wire so the pulling crew would not have that weight to pull as well for some 1500 feet. I was 67 years old but in top physical condition. So, this was to be my initial entry into the world of backpacking! I was excited to be in such a beautiful place for this trip, but did not know what the impact of being in the Canyon was to be. Down there in the canyon you are simply immersed in the beauty of our great land, and you become a part of it! My first surprise was that going downhill was to be just as or more difficult than going back uphill! Those muscles inn your leg are not used as much as the other ones, and this is uncomfortable but manageable. As we had gotten a late start at the top after getting our permit we had planned on our overnight stop would be the campground near the water pumping station. When we got there near the evening hours, we discovered that the campground was completely full and we would have to go on to the next one. The biggest part of the distance to the next camping area was covered by flashlight in the dark. No LED flashlights then, and ours were getting pretty dim when we finally arrived! Boy, were we ready to stop. We both slept like a log! The next morning we were up and about, had a hasty breakfast, and continued on down the trail. The second surprise was that there is little level ground anywhere in the canyon. Although the ups and downs are small, there is sure a lot of them! We arrived at Phantom Ranch late that afternoon, and settled in for the night. The next morning, we broke camp, had another hasty breakfast, and loaded our backpacks. As we were preparing to go, our next door neighbor called over and said”We have more ice than we can use. would you like to have it?” We of course said yes, and filled our canteens and water containers with ice and water, and set off to walk the last mile of so to the Colorado river bridge. A little more about this ice later! What a pleasant sight when we reached the river! The third surprise was that this suspension bridge is very narrow, and is just wide enough for one person. When you meet someone and have to pass, each person just turns sideways and this is easily done. The other function of the bridge is to support the water line for the south rim, as the water pumping station back up the trail pumps water for the use of both North and South rims, or did at that time. At the end of the bridge, the trail turns downriver and continues for about 4 miles or so before turning uphill again. I has a panoramic camera with me, and I snapped a photo shot upriver right there, then raised my camera vertically and took another photo of the view above the first shot. Imagine my surprise when I had the film ( yes, that was right before digital camera’s became readily available) developed and found that the two photo’s were within a quarter inch both vertically and horizontally. I was able to marry these together and this gave me a double wide photo which revealed the remarkable beauty of the canyon as no single photograph will do! We continued our trek and turned uphill. We had passed the first shelter and had continued uphill perhaps a quarter mile or so when we met another hiker. This man was an Australian, and had come to Arizona just to see our natural wonder of the world. He asked if we had any water to spare as he had run out and was very thirsty. We of course said we would be happy to share and asked ” would you like to have a drink of ice water?”.His response was an incredulous ” Mate, you gotta be sh*tting me! ” When he found out we really did have ice water, we told him he was only a mile or so from Phantom Ranch, and he could probably get a steak and a cold beer there as well! This was a humorous and unexpected pleasure, and I an reasonably sure he will tell his mates the story of getting ice water to drink deep in the grand canyon, just as I have treasured this memory as well! The remainder of this day was spent in climbing uphill, including the very steep “Oh my God” hill with many switchbacks to enable reasonable effort to get up that very steep slope. When we arrived at Indian Gardens around 4:00 0r so the temperature on the thermometer was standing at 114 degrees! We were enabled to do this trek safely in July by having access to running water throughout most of the distance. We would stop every half hour of so and wet our clothing in whatever was near. In the dry Arizona air, the evaporation of our wet clothing was very effective in keeping us cool enough to make the journey! We overnighted at Indian Gardens, and elected to get an early start as it is all uphill for nearly the entire five miles or so to the top. It is just like climbing a five mile staircase! This kept us out of a lot of hot sunshine, and if I remember right there is no running water for this part of the trip. There is the usual drinking water standpipe faucets every mile or so. We left Indian Gardens about 2:30 AM, and arrived at the top in the vicinity of 1:30 PM. These are my recollections of this once in a lifetime journey for me, and it is the most strenuous and the most satisfying trip of my lifetime as well! Simply a grand thing to do if you are able. You want to know that you are in top shape and can do this, as if you have to get a ride out in any way, be it mule or Helicopter, it will be very expensive. I hope that those of you who read this have enjoyed my story, and I wish you good luck in all your journeys!

• Phil,

Your story is amazing!!!! Love all of it and the ice water you gave to the hiker = priceless (you were trail Angels).

Welcome to the club and thank you for sharing your story!

3. David Ashby says:

My son graduated from college and I wanted to treat him to a special trip that both of us would enjoy. Since he was a college athlete, I also wanted it to be challenging for us both, while not being so difficult that I would have trouble completing it. The Rim to Rim hike seemed like just the thing.

We went in the beginning of June, and got a bit of a late start in the morning after staying in a hotel close to the South Rim. We didn’t realize that we could take a shuttle bus to the South Kaibab Trail, so we walked a couple miles from the Visitor Center parking lot. After a challenging hike down, we realized we would be going through the “Box” at the hottest part of the day.

After several stops in the river to rest and get wet, we made it through the Box and began our ascent. Night fell and we still had plenty of ground to cover. Out came our headlamps. Once we finally made it to the top of the North Rim, we were exhausted; but then we realized we had another 1.7 miles to hike to the Lodge and our cabin.

That 1.7 miles was pretty easy going, though, after the North Rim ascent; we finally reached the Lodge at 10pm. We were pretty proud of ourselves since neither of us had really prepared for the trek physically. We ended up being sore for the next few days, but have great memories to look back on and hope to do it again sometime in the future.

4. I lived to blog about my experience hiking the Grand Canyon Rim 2 Rim hike…in one day!! As soon as we came upon the Cottonwood campsite, I was already starting to plan my return back to the canyon. So many cool things to see and places to explore. This trip was life changing!! After completing this hike, I feel like there’s nothing I can’t do now. Thank you for your blog. It was one of my valuable resources when I was planning my trip last year. Read about my experience and how I trained for the adventure: http://www.kathleenlovesyoga.com/personal/bikram-yoga-helped-me-survive-the-grand-canyon-rim-2-rim-hike/

5. Just finished my first (and last?) R2R2R on October 14, 2015. Conditions were absolutely perfect. I left South Rim (S. Kaibob trail head) at midnight sharp, North Rim at 9:50am, and finally, after many blisters, the top of South Rim at 9:35pm. I have never experienced such a tough hike in my life…I pushed it as hard as my body would allow…what a memorable experience! I’m happy with my time (21:35)…I am sure I can probably do better but I have no desire to go back and try to beat the time.

Descending into the dark canyon on a moonless night, alone, was truly memorable for me. I came across two sets of eyes (reflecting from my headlamp) was pretty amazing…not sure what they were but most likely deer…they moved off trail for me! Everyone I met along the way were really nice and supportive.

I would definitely recommend this hike. It was a monster, but I will always remember it.

6. My husband and I completed the rim to rim hike a couple of days ago on August 25, 2015. We departed the north rim at 0330 on August 24th. Having spoken to a couple of park rangers regarding the dreaded “box” section of the canyon I did not want to be in the box during the frowned upon hours of 1000 and 1600. We were told during these hours there is no shade in the box and temps can reach 140 degrees and in fact someone had died in the box one month ago. Those words had me extremely nervous. It was suggested we make a side trip to Ribbon Falls to check out the beauty and to get soaked in the cold water before entering the box. Off we went in the dark and arrived at the falls at 0930 not returning to the trail until shortly after 1000. The side trip was well worth it as the falls are beautiful and the water wonderfully cold. Now we were entering the box after 10. Fortunately, due to hiking later in August the sun was not completely up over the very narrow section of the canyon. We enjoyed more shade in the box than on other parts of the trail. I would suggest leaving earlier and not taking a chance on shade in the box. We arrived at Phantom Ranch at 1220 where it was 108 degrees. Our cabin was perfect as the air was on and very cold. As usual everyone we have met in the canyon on past excursions have been very nice. People from all parts of the world are at the Ranch and all like to exchange stories of their hiking experience. Having enjoyed a great stew dinner and the company of many new acquaintances we then joined a ranger in the ampitheater for a game of national parks trivia under the stars. This was followed by a scorpion hunt in the mule corral. Who knew that scorpions glow green when a blue light shines on them. Very cool to see them as long as they are not in the shower with you. We departed Phantom Ranch at 0400 with a husband and wife we met as we started out and became fast friends. They are our age (between 55 and 60) and we had quite a bit in common. The 4 of us completed the hike up the Bright Angel by 1200 having made a 30 minute stop at Indian Gardens. Completing this hike was quite an accomplishment and my husband is already talking about doing this again next year in the opposite direction. We will have to wait and see….

7. Chris Boothman says:

I had previously done two trips from the the South rim to the Phantom Ranch and back in a day. Both straight forward events, following the standard South Kaibab down and Bright Angel up. It is done this way because of the drinking water available along the return. So in September 2013 I went to the next level, that being rim to rim in a day. It seemed logical to start at the north rim and walk south ascending via the Bright Angel. After a full day of rest and two nights at the Bright Angel Lodge I returned by the South and North Kaibab trails. No issues encountered with this R2R2R, it is perfectly reasonable for a fit experienced hiker. Sure they are long days and it is hot at the lower levels, but with good preparation it is a fantastic journey. The trails are mostly in very good condition and obvious to follow. The scenery breathtaking and the sense of satisfaction very high. The outbound hike took 11 hours and inbound was 10 hours. Obviously you need to carry a few extra items for your overnights at the south rim, but I managed to keep it to a minimum. I am repeating this fantastic expedition again this year 21st Sept out and back 23rd. I just love it and would do it every year if I lived nearer.

8. Don Thompson says:

In 1982 my friend and I decided to hike Rim to Rim. We started down on the Bright Angel Trail and hiked North. At Phantom Ranch we had some cool drinks and continued across the canyon to Cottonwood Campground, about a 17 mile hike. The next morning we started up the North Kaibab trail and went past Roaring Springs on the way up. I will say this challenge was among one of the most physically tough challenges I have ever faced. The North Rim so beautiful once we neared the top. My parents were on top waiting for us as we came over the rim. We all spent the night in one of the cabins and enjoyed looking across to the South Rim enjoying a cold beer and sitting outside at the lodge.

9. Jim Iholts says:

In 1974 my brother and I crossed for my first crossing of the Grand Canyon. After getting our permits at the North Rim Backcountry Office, my aunt dropped us off at the North Kaibab Trailhead. We hiked the 4.5 miles down to Roaring Springs Campground; which is now only a picnic area; and spent our first night in the covered cement slab. I loved the sight of water gushing out of the springs, which is where the Grand Canyon gets its water.

The next day we hiked the eight miles to Phantom Ranch and drank lemonade at the concession stand, which is no longer there. We hiked the River Trail loop, seeing both bridges before we hiked up to Indian Garden Campground.

Lessons learned in the Grand Canyon can be expensive, and we could have paid dearly for ours. Eager to get to our destination we set out at 2:00 PM for our hike of the River Trail/Bright Angel Trail. Anyone hiking in 118° heat (read from the thermometer at Bright Angel Campground) learns not to hike in that temperature. We were teenagers; not endowed with wisdom needed to make rational decisions. After ascending the Devil’s Corkscrew I had to remove my glasses: sweat dripping from my forehead clouded them, making them useless. Shortly thereafter we met a couple; the man was from Colorado and the woman was from our hometown, El Paso; who gave us some water (we had run out) and some salt tablets. We were out of The Box, but it was still very hot.

When we reached Indian Garden I went to the water spigot and drank water for what seemed like 5 minutes. After I finished my brother drank for about 5 minutes. Then I drank for another five minutes. Finally, my brother drank for five minutes. We slept well under the stars that night.

The next day we got an early start and hiked the final 4.8 miles to the Bright Angel Trailhead. When we topped out people near the trailhead applauded our accomplishment, and we thanked them. At this point it didn’t seem like a big deal, considering our problems on the previous day. The memories of that hike have given me great pleasures, along with the other hikes; five crossings all told; I have done in the Grand Canyon.

10. Back in 1970, we hiked from the north rim to the south rim. That was back in the day when hiking shoes were army boots and backpacks had heavy metal frames. Our packs weighted an average of 50# but we loved every minute of it.

We, also, hiked to Phantom Ranch several times and did the day hike down to Indian Gardens but only did the rim-to-rim once. I think the hike from the north rim is more beautiful than the south rim hike and wish I had done it more than once. That said, the grandeur of the canyon is amazing anywhere you are. I’m still amazed every time I see the canyon. I want my kids to make this hike but not sure they are inclined to do it as they are all so busy with other endeavours.

11. Donald Wood says:

Aloha fellow hikers

Well I will probably be one of the old timers — never thought I would say that but it is becoming more common these days — well on to the story — It was 1976 the nations bicentennial was full on and I was on a quest to write a book about America. I left Brattleboro, Vt alone on my old bicycle with little idea about camping and even less about bicycling — the stories of the next 18 months are beyond belief (really) — I traveled alone for the first 18 months but while I was in Colorado one of my best friends decided to join me — He and I were at the N rim one week before it was to close for the season — we had our bikes and a couple of hundred pounds of gear — I was planning to bike the canyon — (had already biked everywhere else (15K miles by then) so didn’t think it would be a problem– At that time there were no solid restrictions about biking or permits to camp — it was not such a popular hike then– The rangers convinced us that it was not a good idea to try to bike the Canyon and they would help by bringing our gear to the S Rim for us — We were convinced – don’t laugh but we did not have backpacks — so we had to tie gear and food on our bodies as efficiently as possible (not) we each had two loves of bread tied to our belts that swung and banged against our legs — by the second day they were all smashed up (hunger does not care about the shape of the food)– I dont remember how or what else we tied up just remember those loaves of bread (white bread) — I know we had peanut butter too — Food was a premium for me — I did the two year trip on $50.00 — yep — anyway — the trip was not too bad as I was a seasoned biker and Gary had come up to speed pretty well since Colorado — Somewhere about 3/4 of the way down the N Rim I ripped my achilles tendon – badly — It took the rest of the day to make it to Phantom Ranch — I was in extreme pain but I knew the rules about being lifted out of the Canyon for injuries – I had no money then, and could not even comprehend paying the 1,500.00 I had been quoted for emergency airlift– remember no cell phones etc etc etc — I just hobbled along in misery — At Phantom ranch Gary strolled off to the bridge and the river — I lay in agony — He managed to get me up and over to the river ( I will never forget that view) for just a moment my pain dissipated – Back at Phantom Ranch we discovered we were not expected and ended up off to the side out under the stars — All I remember is blissful sleep — I also remember the waterfall over the boulder with the ferns and mosses of bright angel creek — In the morning nothing had improved — I just had to pull up my big boy pants and hobble on — I cannot describe to you hiking out of the Canyon like that — beyond words and pain — But I made it — The rangers had our gear and had set up a special camp spot for wayward bicyclers that had stumbled into the N rim — We stayed for a week — Nearly 35 years later I was visiting the Canyon (I had moved to Gilbert AZ) and actually had more than no dollars — I searched and searched and got my Rim to Rim patch for my backpack as I had become an avid hiker — hiking all over the US and Hawaii — I also got an I hiked the canyon pin for my Jeep — I am proud to be in the Rim to Rim club with all of you — Last week I took a newbie to the Canyon — As I gazed across the vast clear spectacle of beauty before me I was taken back to 1976 and the grand adventure of the Canyon!!!! Will I ever do it again — who knows !! I might like to make the 70 and above club.

• Donald, that serious is one of the most amazing “Keep On Keeping On” stories that we have read! WOW! What an amazing trip and all on $50! That really just put it all in perspective. Welcome to the club and proud to have you and all of the other hikers in it! Thanks to all for sharing your stories as we know they will inspire others!

12. We have hiked Rim to Rim many times (8). The second time was from the North Rim to the South Rim in 1986 with our children and my parents – ages range from 7 to 70.

Now this summer we will hike the same route with our son, his wife, and our grandson. Age range 7 to 68. We will remember the pride my parents, Carrie & Floyd Manning enjoyed during our adventure. Hope that this tradition continues for many generations!

13. Jo Rhodes says:

So excited to find this site and read all your Rim to Rim experiences. I have hiked Rim to Rim 3 times in the last 4 years and have my next hike is planned for this September. Will share my Rim to Rim adventures when I have more time. Thanks for sharing your experiences.

14. I just completed my second hike through the canyon. Last year was the first and we went down to Bright Angel Campground, spent the night and then came out. It was very cool, but had no idea what I was missing until I took my time and did it better this year.

This year, we camped at the North Rim before descending. We Played at Roaring Springs, Camped at Cottonwood CG, played again at Rainbow Falls, which was beautiful and a great experience. We made it through “The box” before 10am, so the 120* heat hadn’t hit, but did within an hour or two after we exited through Phantom Ranch.

The day at Bright Angel campground allowed for two day-hikes, playing in the creek as well as some time on the beach of the Colorado River. A hike across Black Bridge, around the South Kaibab and back down the Silver bridge and back to camp was a great way to really see so more than I saw last year.

Early on the following day, we hit most of the 1200 ft climb through the Devils Corkscrew before full sun, and the accompanying 110+ degrees and entered Indian Gardens by 11am. After a short nap in the heat of the day, we ventured out again on a day-hike along the West Tonto Trail. We came back for a light dinner and hit the plateau for a breathtaking view of Colorado river, east to west and a spectacular sunset.

Our final day had us breaking camp at 4am, so we could see the sun rise behind us as we ascended the final 4.5 miles to the South Rim, just in time to see the flip-flop & latte “hikers” rise and begin their days…so many hours after we had started our day.

I respect those who see the accomplishment in setting a personal speed record through the canyon, but if your energy comes from the experience of seeing what so few ever will, and enjoying some pack-it-in and pack-it-out backpack camping, then take your time and see as much as you can.

I do not profess to see it all, in-fact, I will do this as long as I can…I should have another 50-or-so camping years left in me. I will continue to take the day-hikes and side trips to see what the speed-hikers will continue to miss. Its a beautiful place.

15. I first hiked rim to rim in October in 1993 with a group of 7 friends. We woke up the next morning on the North Rim with 2 inches of snow on the ground. It took a bit of cajoling, but we finally decided to hike back across to the South Rim. Once we got down below the rim, the snow gave way to a very fine day.

Since that time, I have tried to hike rim to rim and back as a 2 day or 3 day (with 2 nights on the North Rim) excursion once or twice a year. Do to injuries, fires, or snow, I haven’t always been able to, and a few times I only went one way. I didn’t keep count, but if I scratch my head and look through old photos, I figure I’ve hiked rim to rim 48 times. I haven’t done rim to rim to rim (a triple rimmer) in one day, and don’t know if I ever will. I enjoy taking a break at Ribbon Falls, and relaxing on the veranda at the North Rim lodge with my feet on the ledge, and having a nice dinner. I’ve always considered the hike North to South to be the easier hike, even the day after hiking South to North.

I’m looking forward to trips 49 and 50 this coming May.

16. Mike Poupart says:

Instead of posting our complete story of our first Rim2Rim hike. I will just give the link. http://www.aggressiveinc.com/grandcanyonhike2005.html

This was our first experience hiking the canyon and have done many hikes since. The last being another Rim2Rim last August (2013). We will post a little trip report from that hike soon. It was another wonderful experience in the canyon

17. I just got back from the challenge of hiking the Grand Canyon Rim to Rim in one day. . . 13.5 hours. I not only hiked the Canyon, I got to share the experience with my sister, brother in law, my husband and awesome 12 year old daughter, and 2 great friends, Derek and Beth. We started out at the South Rim at 6:30am and made it to the river by 10am. Had some lunch and walked in the river a bit before taking off to towards the North Rim on the Kaibob trail. My daughter had a few break downs mentally on the way across and up, as this was a huge challenge, especially for a 12 year old girl. The way back up was so mentally tough for me, I kept thinking we were going to hit the top only to find another set of switch backs to hike through. You really do not realize how slow you are moving as you hike up the canyon. Fatigue and the steep inclines really slow you down.

I spent a lot of time in complete amazement of how beautiful the area is and how different it is from my home in Georgia. When we hit Cottonwood, we knew we only had 7 more miles, but it was going to be a long, steep 7 miles and we were all tired. Several people had knee pains and my husband’s shoe blew out the side, so he was hiking with no soles on his shoes! We set our sights on the trail head and took off around 2pm. Our goal was to hit the trail head by 6pm. . . ha ha, not even close! We finished in two groups, my group finished at 8pm and my husbands group finished 30 minutes later. Our friend, Beth, had her son meet us on the North Rim about 3-4 miles from the top and he hiked up the trail with us. He had a car and we were never so happy than to have him DRIVE us from the trail head to the Lodge, were we had a late dinner!

I will say this challenge was among the most physically tough challenges I have ever faced. The fact that we all finished (especially my daughter) was the proudest moment for me. I said I wanted to do this hike as a celebration of turning 40, and I did it! Will I do it again. . . ummm, not all in one day! I would not mind hiking down and spending a few days there and then hiking back up! As for my daughter. . . she says no way! but I have a feeling once time passes, she will be called back one day!

• Hi Laurie: What route did you take to do this in one day? Thanks very much. I plan to do this with my three kids, all of them in their twenties. I enjoyed the comments about your twelve year old.

• I celebrated my 60th hiking to Phantom Ranch. My first ever, hiking in this terrain. Yes, like you, I was sooooooo happy to find our ride at the top. And yes, after losing 20+ pounds training and surviving the incredible adventure (standing upright :D) it was a defining moment for me. Someday, I will be back. One day, I want my son, now 40, to have this incredible experience.

Tell Your Story